View Single Post
Old 07-14-2010, 07:47 AM   #22
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Szmuk View Post
Before I bought my iPad, I was considering buying a Kobo too. It's a decent device that does what is supposed to do, nothing more, nothing less. And it's relatively cheap. The iPad is much nicer and gives you so many more options and features, but you're right Clintbradford, sometimes all these features, whistles and bells, can drive a reader who only wants to relax and have a good read into an ADD kinda state of mind.

Still love my iPad though...
I have both an iPad and a Kobo. I bought the Kobo first but was lucky enough to get a iPad to use for free (I don't own it but I have it full time). They both have good and bad points. The screen on the iPad is beautiful and reading Winnie the Pooh to my kids is great (it looks just like the book). I also have access to Safari books online and if you read computer books through safari it is the only place to read them.

However, when I read for enjoyment I do it on the Kobo. I find the iPad too heavy and bright to read in bed (or for long periods). Even though I need a book light on the Kobo it is still more comfortable to read. My wife likes the iPad because the pages turn faster but I am used to the speed and I am doing more reading than I have done in years.

The other thing I dislike about the iPad is the reflection. If I wanted to look at myself I would find a mirror. The light and angle needs to be right or it can be unreadable.

One other thing is minor. Just because of the physical size the iPad is harder to carry around (even one room to another). My hand is big enough to hold the Kobo easily and I never feel like I am going to drop it. The iPad often feels like I don't have a good hold on it.

That being said, the iPad is fabulous for what it does. Apple did a great job on it. It has almost replaced my net book completely but I read on my Kobo...

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote