View Single Post
Old 03-09-2011, 10:29 AM   #1
Grannygamer
Grannygamer is a glorious beacon of lightGrannygamer is a glorious beacon of lightGrannygamer is a glorious beacon of lightGrannygamer is a glorious beacon of lightGrannygamer is a glorious beacon of lightGrannygamer is a glorious beacon of lightGrannygamer is a glorious beacon of lightGrannygamer is a glorious beacon of lightGrannygamer is a glorious beacon of lightGrannygamer is a glorious beacon of lightGrannygamer is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Sony PSR-900
Help with Smashwords formatting

Am in the process of formatting my husband's first book in Smashwords. I've read through the Style Guide but have 2 questions regarding proper formatting and would appreciate some guidance.

1. I am setting up Chapter One, Chapter Two, etc., as a heading style in Word. Do I understand it correctly that by using a heading style, Meatgrinder will automatically set it up as a new page so each new chapter begins on a new page? Should I insert 2 or 3 returns *BEFORE* the chapter header to designate a space for those formats that it doesn't automatically make each chapter a new page? Should I also insert 2 or 3 returns *AFTER* the chapter header for spacing purposes?

2. Due to the fact that the book skips around locations (WWII novel; necessary to list different locations where different things are happening at the same time), he has titles with the name of the location and sometimes a date. For instance:

Chapter Three
August 1945
Imperial Palace, Tokyo

So I have Chapter Three as the header format, then 2 carriage returns, and was unsure about best formatting for the next 2 lines. Maybe center and bolded? Or bolded and left at the left margin? I didn't want to make it the "title" of the chapter as many chapters do not have these extra titles.

3. Oh, very last question...is it okay to capitalize these titles? I thought I had read somewhere that Smashwords preferred that one does not capitalize but I may be mistaken/overwhelmed. When I looked at some sample pages, I believe I did see some capitalization.

Sorry for the long post. Wasn't sure where else to ask and this community has been super. Would hate to format incorrectly and then have to go back and redo.
Grannygamer is offline   Reply With Quote