View Single Post
Old 10-20-2019, 08:12 AM   #62
Timboli
Fanatic
Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Samsung Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Actually, I was saying that even as he grew older physically, Moorcock still tended to act like a teenager. I'm not sure he ever really matured much as a writer. Just my opinion, of course.

While Moorcock tended to stretch the Eternal Champion motif to most of his stories, I tend to think of it as the Elric, Corum, Hawkmoon, von Beck and Erikose stories. I have all except the von Beck works, though I have read The War Hound and the World's Pain.
I guess you know him to a fair degree, but possibly not enough, as I don't see him as an immature writer ... just a limited one perhaps ... or too easily bored.

My recollection of things he has said in the past, leaves me with a memory that he felt forced to continue writing in the Elric vein, and it is never good to write under that condition. Other comments of his has led me to believe, that he doesn't truly value the potential of such stories or even really fully respect that genre. I'm not sure either, that he respected Robert E. Howard, for instance, as much as he should have, considering. So perhaps a bit of snobbery on his part, some bias.

In a way, he seems to deliberately avoid, what often makes other writers very popular, in the methods of writing he uses. He almost wears that like a badge of honor, but sometimes I feel it is to the detriment of some of his stories, makes some feel less complete and more an exercise or experiment.

That's my perception of it anyway. I could be wrong though, especially in regard to his writings in the last decade or two, which I am not really familiar with yet.

Please don't get me wrong though, as I do value him as a writer, even admire a bunch of his stuff. We are all flawed in some way.

Last edited by Timboli; 10-20-2019 at 08:25 AM.
Timboli is offline   Reply With Quote