View Single Post
Old 01-22-2018, 08:37 PM   #31771
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I am now truly grateful that I have a choice of grocery stores within a 5 - 10 minute drive of my home!
It's surprising how quickly you learn that "only" 10-15 miles really starts to grate after a while. It doesn't sound like much, but it means that EVERY trip out of the house is a schlep, and you're never gone for "15 minutes." It's unlikely that you can meet anyone, anywhere, in "half an hour."

I knew that we were moving "out there" when we bought the place, of course. I don't do a ton of driving, due to the nature of my biz, and I got rid of my leased office space when, after 3+ years, not a SINGLE person had ever shown up *(see note) for any business reason. I mean, I may take a while to catch on, but...

What I didn't realize was just how vexing it gets, having to sit there and arrangee everything, so, let's say you need your annual blood test. Well, that's 17 miles west; but, hey!, there's a branch of your bank there, too, so you arrange your banking trip; and, wait, if you only go another 4 miles west, you can fit in a quick trip to that grocery, too.

Any single trip out means, basically, that either your afternoon or your morning is just shot. Utterly lost, in terms of other types of productivity. I wish I could figure out a way to SAFELY do dictation or answer emails in the car! (Not a believer in talking+driving.)

Spoiler:
*Note: not counting the schizophrenic guy that had the psychotic break, decided we'd changed "all the words in [his] book" and promptly drove across three states to come find us and "deal with [us]."

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote