View Single Post
Old 10-03-2016, 06:39 AM   #59
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psymon View Post
As far as what I've been working on re my own ebook (with regard to correcting/revising those 16th/17th century public domain texts), I can't imagine that anyone would argue that that's not a "derivative" work
As I said, a derivative work is something you would put your name as an author of it (and be called a plagiarist if you didn't acknowledge the original). If you modify it but still say it's Shakespeare's work, not yours, then it's not a derivative work, it's Shakespeare's work, modified by you.

So, do you feel your changes are enough to say you are the author of the poems, and not Shakespeare? The answer to that is, in my opinion, the answer to whether or not it is a derivative work.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote