View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 08:07 PM   #95
Big Kev
Enthusiast
Big Kev began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle & Ipad
Advice with preparing Word document.

Hi Toxaris and all other ePub experts

Could you give a newbie a little guidance please.

I would like to start creating eBooks commencing with a 120 page family history I have put together which consists of text and images. As a complete newbie I would like to do it the best I can without getting into any bad habits from the start.

I have done a couple of the w3 courses and Pablo's tutorial and whilst I still have no experience with HTML, etc. I think I have sufficient understanding of the concepts to give it a go and at least know what questions I will need to ask as I go along.

Currently I have the raw final manuscript in MSWord (2007) format with no images inserted. (I also have the printed version of the book which was printed by an online publisher.)

I also have Sigil and Toxaris's macro downloaded and ready to go but am still a little confused about the best way to prepare my Word document for import to Sigil. More accurately it is not clear to me how far I should go with formatting in my Word document before running Toxaris's macro and moving over to Sigil.

After researching this forum my plan of attack is:

1. Strip the Word document of the minimal formatting it contains (including blank lines between paragraphs.

2. Format paragraphs in Word (No indent, small blank space between para's, justified) using custom named style.

3. Insert images and captions in Word.

4. Run Toxaris's macro and open resulting HTML file in Sigil.

5. Attend to metadata, headers, cover, TOC, splitting chapters in Sigil.

6. Produce ePub.

7. Convert ePub to other formats in Calibre.

So before I make a start I would really appreciate any advice/suggestions regarding my proposed approach as my ignorance may well mean I am wide of the mark.

Regards
Kevin
Big Kev is offline   Reply With Quote