View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 12:55 PM   #85
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
If you buried your ereader in the ground, would you say it was subterranean?
"After a while, he forgot where he had buried his stash of precious gadgets, and the ereader languished in its subterranean resting place."

Yup.

Quote:
If you dropped it in the pool, would it be a submarine ereader?
If I dropped it in the sea, then yes, I might call it that in some fashion. And the word would convey a lot more imagery than just "underwater."

Quote:
I think not. In the same way, I wouldn't use subnivean to describe your ereader if you jammed it into the middle of a snowbank.
The lawn wasn't in the middle of a snowbank, it was still a lawn--growing plants--beneath a layer of snow. I think that's significant, and, again, evocative.

ApK

Last edited by ApK; 01-03-2013 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Certainly not to remove an errant apostrophe...nope... nothing to see here.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote