View Single Post
Old 09-18-2011, 08:43 AM   #21
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I totally believe there is a market for eink, don't get me wrong. I just believe that color tablets are still held back because of their pricing. Look what happened to the Kindle Dx. When the price is close to the same, the tablets will vastly outsell the single function reader.

I'm speaking of several years from now, when every family will have a tablet as most have computers today.

Lee
I don't disagree that colour will trump b&w eink ereaders down the road. But it's not just price: it's battery, weight, easy on the eyes, easy to use for the task of just reading.

The Kindle DX is bigger (better screen real estate for magazines, newspapers, layouts inn general) but at the cost of weight and esp. cost. When the DX was $389 and Kindle 2 was $259 the 50% price gap already shut down part of the interest. When the Kobo introduced the $150 price point and Kindle and Nook fell over themselves first to $199 and then $149, $139 and now $114 ... the DX fate was sealed.

If your time horizon is "several years" it's really impossible to say since technology moves so quickly. And anyway, eink was ultimately successful not for the techology and price, which was led by Sony, but by Amazon which created the content infrastructure. It's hard to imagine that tablets won't be ubiquitous in ever home by then. But if B&W eink devices are $29 ....
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote