View Single Post
Old 05-14-2011, 09:06 AM   #54
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Well, I finally finished Blood Meridian.

Spoiler:

It is impressive how in a work so filled with brutal depictions of violence the most disturbing scene in the book is precisely the one in which almost nothing is shown. When I was getting close to finishing the novel, I thought I didn’t care about the fate of any of the characters. They all had become repulsive to me. But when I reached the ending I felt sick and shaken, almost like in those moments when, after waking up from a nightmare, you still don’t know you are in the real world. I couldn’t help thinking about that ending for hours.

And then there is that enigmatic epilogue. I didn’t understand a single word from it. Anybody care to discuss it?

I think I understand what beppe is saying. The Road also recreates a very harsh world, but then there is that tender relationship from the father and his son. They are fighting to have a better life. There are brief reasons for hope. In Blood Meridian the characters themselves are the main reason the world is so brutal. They don't fight against their circumstances; they make everything worse. Even the kid doesn't seem to be different.

I have no doubt this guy is a great novelist, but I won’t be in any hurry to read any other of his books.
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote