View Single Post
Old 07-21-2018, 08:20 AM   #34
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Moreover, books are pretty fungible. There's always something else to read.

(Emphasis mine)

What does "must" really mean in this context? "Really, really want to a lot"? That's not the imperative you'd like it to be. If they truly "must", they have to find a way to pay for it if they're honest. It's not the moral equivalent of stealing a loaf of bread when you're starving.
I agree with you on this. Books are indeed fungible. It is very rare that someone "must" read a book in an objective sense. My use of the word in this instance was subjective, referring to the state of mind of the person rather than the objective truth.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote