View Single Post
Old 05-31-2012, 01:46 PM   #10
pynch
why in?
pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura
Hi Prestidigitweeze (Prestigious Digital Wizard?)

Thank you very much for your kind words, and much more so for your comments, they made my day! Discussing commas and periods is what I live for (almost not kidding).

The ‘and’ in ‘Women and Writing’ should be lower-cased and will be in an update. And I will delete the ‘short’ in the ‘Haunted House’-title as that’s how Leonard Woolf named the book. But apart from ‘The Haunted House’, where else did you find ‘other (short) stories’?

I did indeed take some freedoms with the titles. Of course you’re right, the title case rule says that those titles should be init-capped, but to me it looked adequate to separate the story names from the ‘and ...’ (and Vanessa Bell seems to agree if you take a look at the original covers).

The commas before ‘and’ are not just unnecessary but plain wrong (as the Chicago Manual of Style requires a series of at least three elements for this comma to be justified), it’s just that we Crusaders for the Oxford Comma have to take exaggerated measures sometimes to agitate public opinion and prevail in the end. For more information on our motives, please have a look here (If anyone wants to apply for a membership, send me a PM and I will send you the necessary forms).

Regarding the periods after the Oscar Wilde title, I could swear that I’ve seen those quite often, but can’t find a single example at the moment, so perhaps I have just dreamt those periods. Still, I hope you can get used to them, as I would like to leave them where they are.

Best, pynch.

PS: No, I am not Thomas Pynchon. And yes, that’s where my user name comes from, along with a 1972 Can song.
pynch is offline   Reply With Quote