View Single Post
Old 05-25-2016, 03:00 AM   #12
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post
That makes sense. The images on hathitrust are the pdf productions from the original scans, I'm sure.
They don't have to be PDFs. They might be the original scans. Scanning will generally produce a TIFF image. That may be converted to JPG or PNG, because TIFF is an uncompressed format, but JPG and PNG are compressed to reduce file size. Encapsulating in a PDF simply produces a portable format just about everything can display. (I have a capable PDF viewer on my old Palm TX PDA.)

I took a look a while back at imagery from the Hubble telescope a poster elsewhere was talking about. NASA offered it as a TIFF and a JPG, and strongly recommended the JPG. He wanted the TIFF file - he was going to slice it into smaller tiles and use those as the basis for slideshow wallpaper.

The good part was extraordinary detail in the TIFF. You could zoom in almost indefinitely. The bad part was it was 100MB+ in size. I had to view it in an older version of Photoshop because no other image viewer or editor I had installed would open it. They'd die horribly with out of memory errors.

There's a reason NASA recommended the JPG...

Quote:
I took a look at the link you gave, and those are smaller than the ones I got from hathi, but they are 300% better quality! so thanks for that, I am going to try those.
Excellent! They looked better here, but I wasn't certain. You might ask the blogger where he got them.

Quote:
Thanks again!
You're quite welcome. I'm glad I could assist.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote