View Single Post
Old 07-19-2010, 02:28 PM   #25
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbie View Post
I should have clarified that I was refering to the UK where we already have charity shops on the high street that generate a lot of money by recycling good books. I would not be persuaded to buy an ebook reader until the cost becomes more competitive. With ebooks there is no distribution cost and nocost for raw material in my view the price at the moment is a complete rip off.
Cost of my (refurbished) K2 (US model) = $48.97
Number of ebooks read on same = 547
Share of cost of device added to net cost of each ebook = $0.08952.

Cost of retail K2i = $189
Same number of ebooks read = 547
Share of cost added had I purchased a new K2i = $0.34552

Given the advantages of reading ebooks, the additional $0.09 (or $0.35 with a new K2i) per ebook cost of buying at this time is negligible. And with an average 'life' of at least a decade for a K2, at my current rate of ebooks per year, the 'cost' per ebook of buying falls below one cent.

And I *love* to re-read my favorite stories. If I'm constantly 'bin'ning them, I'm constantly having to repurchase them. And if I choose to keep them around I have the added expense of building more and more bookshelves - losing valuable room space. Nope. Replacing the low cost of ebooks and ebook readers with the high cost of dead-tree ownership *just* to help a charity? Does NOT compute!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote