View Single Post
Old 10-23-2009, 11:54 PM   #4
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
I use my Sony 505 for almost nothing but PDFs. Even if I get a book in another format, I'll convert it to PDF. A well made PDF is better than pretty much everything else. Of course, the ideal one is one I made especially for my Sony, but even when it isn't made for my Sony, I can make it work.

I've yet to find a book or even technical journal article, so long as it is professionally made, I can't make work. (Magazines might be a different story, but who wants to read a large color magazine on a small black and white screen even with ideal zoom functionality and controls?)

The problem I think is a lot of people expect to just put the PDF onto their machine and read. You need to tweak it first. My usual tools are sopdf and PDFLRF. Occasionally I just use the pdfcrop tool from the TeXlive LaTeX distribution. Between those I can handle most tweaks, and since they don't alter the PDF content, they just trim margins and cut it up into screen-size chunks, nothing gets lost.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote