View Single Post
Old 09-17-2011, 06:35 PM   #10
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by mldavis2 View Post
... and if the 'cloud' gets hacked and you lose your data ... or if your fancy new tablet fails or is out of warranty ... or if your password gets stolen ... or ...

What is the difference between having your data and purchases (rents, sorry) on your own prone-to-fail hard drive or your own prone-to-fail tablet? Lose a HD on either and you aren't online anymore ... unless of course we put all of the operating system on the cloud and just burn the boot process and wifi connection into a chip that "can't fail."
The primary difference is that I can access my material at any time and in any place I choose and I normally have at least two full copies of all of my data on at least TWO separate HDs as well as a lot of DVDs... and it's all under my control, I don't need to rely on having internet access (whether cabled, Wi-Fi or 3G) to a third party server farm which is also prone to failure despite claims to the contrary...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote