View Single Post
Old 04-01-2008, 04:25 PM   #2
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
How likely is it that the patronage/subsidization model can work for individual artists in this day and age? What (if anything) is in place, and what needs to be developed? Are certain artists better off pursuing one model over the other? Are certain countries likely to be more supportive of this idea than others? Are other countries likely to fight this model, or to challenge its fairness?

Discussion is invited.
Check the "Academy of authors" idea in the Times (UK) article I linked to in News.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22420

I shudder to think of that...

Personally I think that the patronage model cannot work on a large scale today at least here in the US - it will be attacked politically, think the headlines - "people are dying of malaria, famine in poor countries, while here the food stamps usage is at a record high and you use your foundation money to subsidize that crap sf thingy" and the tax code is unlikely to support it either.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote