View Single Post
Old 07-17-2010, 06:54 PM   #10
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Shadow -- My impression is that his temper got him into prison and he learned in prison to keep his head down and stay out of trouble. He drank the mead and made his promise.

My first impression of Shadow (after digging around on Wikipedia -- I really know nothing about Norse mythology), that he was Balder, except that Loki (Low Key Lyesmith) killed Balder and of course that doesn't happen.
Well, in Norse mythology, Balder's brother Høder kills him (adviced by Loke) - which means they share the guilt equally. And without Balder's death, no Ragnarok. Which might superficially sound nice, but in reality means that the world does not evolve and change as it should. Loke is essentially the one who brings change and renewal - and I don't see how Shadow fits in there as Balder.

Also, Balder is the "white" or "golden" god - just the description of Shadow goes against that. And Baldur is somewhere described as being good and perfect and thus "is not able to act as judge of human behavior" - i.e. he is too good and too perfect to judge human behaviour sensibly.

In mythology, Frigg, the mother of Balder, extracts a promise of all living things not to hurt him. It's an important part of the myth, but I don't think that fits wit the story either...
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote