View Single Post
Old 07-28-2012, 10:44 AM   #11
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Awesome! Would an import/export feature be doable? Preferably in the 'usual' json collection format, that would make it able to be used with the calibre kindle collections plug in with a few tweaks ;-).
Hmmm... it sure is possible somehow. The problem is that physical entries (i.e., document files, and their sidecar entries) are an entirely different story again, and need to be treated completely differerently than collections. For instance, there is the full-text index, which indexes physical files.

While I did think about a whether a "two-way synchronization" could be done (and would have implemented it if it were sure to work), there is a reason why I only created an "import", but not an "export" feature: collections are completely "virtual", in the sense that they don't impact the file system in any way.
Providing an equivalent "export" option (sort of the "inverse function" of the import option) would modify files and directories all over the place, potentially leading to a complete misbehaviour of the Kindle (yes, I've seen it happen, by simply creating 1000 text files inside the documents folder).

Importing or exporting JSON is, of course, no problem at all. The problem is that changes to the filesystem (may) have a big impact on other components that I'm currently unable to control -- in fact, I don't even know which components are really involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I'd take a look at the sources, but the git repo is private on bb ;-).
Ooops... fixed . That was a glitch on my side, it's public now.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote