View Single Post
Old 07-08-2022, 09:49 AM   #42
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Neither Gutenberg or OverDrive has year of original publication. Is that too much to ask?
That's very annoying. Certainly I'd have added that as rant. Worse than lack of word count.

You need Original publication date. But also an edition's original revision release publication, if it was changed. e.g. 1939 and 1950 editions of one of Margery Alingham's Campion short stories are well known to be different, but my 1967 edition has a different selection.

Also publishers may change the title, cover and even the author on the same content (Paul Benyon vs John Wyndham). I've been caught by that with physical books.

Or same title & author of a novel with quite different content. Magician by Raymond Feist, I have both on paper and picked up the "later" version special offer 99p Kindle, but it's been updated three times! Since I do "Download to PC for USB transfer" I have the three revisions. Not checked yet what the difference is. Could be just formatting & typos. I re-read the first one I downloaded. So read original twice on paper (1982 edition, 831 pages, word count unknown, supposedly cut by Editor), once the 1992 edition, supposedly longer "Author's cut" but 681 pages (harder to read smaller font) and once the easiest to read ebook version, supposedly the 2nd version. I could easily run a word count.

I only count from start of heading of start of story to last word or end of The End when doing a word count. Thus excluding front matter, contents, appendix, index, copyright/licence pages and all rear matter. Images don't get counted, but headings, preambles etc do.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote