View Single Post
Old 07-08-2022, 08:34 AM   #41
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I don't think most readers have a good grasp on word count. But we've all grown up with paper books and are able to get a general picture of length going by page count. Yes, there's a million variables. But even so.

Page count:
Below 200 - Short novel. Also the average genre novel length prior to the '80's
250-450 - 'Average modern novel length'
500-700 - Prepare to spend some time on this one. Could be a victim of author indulgence
750-> Likely a fantasy door stopper
I've no idea of how a word count would correlate with my understanding of page counts, and my general expectation of how long a book is. I do know that a page count on many Kindle books isn't a good gauge of the actual length, due to some authors use of padding and or weird formatting to intentionally make a book longer than it actual is.

But in general, a page count is fine with me. It is what I'm used to, and since there seems to be no rush to start listing word counts. I glance at the page count when considering a new author, and tend to pass on books that are less than 200 pages, as I'm not a fan of novellas. I make a note of indie authors who intentionally pad their books, and don't read their offerings.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote