View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 10:21 PM   #38
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
I have built systems for my kids on a budget, then when money loosened up I upgraded the cpu.
Even though I haven't ever upgraded a CPU, I like that I could do it. If the rumor is true, than I would be more likely to upgrade. I could, maybe in 2015, go from the base model Ivy Bridge I'm now using to a then-clearance near-top-of-the-line Ivy Bridge, rather than than to build a new box. My wife's Sandy Bridge PC could also be updated in this scenario.

My objection is to jumping on Intel on the basis of a rumor that, even if true, is subject to multiple interpretations. One interpretation is that declining desktop sales will mean that socketless devices like laptops get the newest and greatest CPU's first. If people are mostly buying mobile computers, that isn't Intel's fault.

The way to vote against this is to, when you need something more than a mobile reading device, build your own PC. You learn doing it. And, while it takes some research, it's easier to do than ever. And the parts are not as delicate as some might think. I've built maybe half a dozen over the years and, despite being a clumsy person, have never destroyed anything. On this issue, vote with your feet.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 12-05-2012 at 06:16 AM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote