Thread: iLiad Registry modifications
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2008, 08:51 AM   #4
Martijn
Connoisseur
Martijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-books

Device: iLiad
Yeah, uninstall was also a problem for me. The djvu viewer now does not have an automatic install. I could write one, but it would simple replace the registry with a backup from before the djvu install.
(Which is OK in most cases, but would break things if the registry got changed in the meantime).

I agree that support from iRex would be ideal, but I guess that would take until the next firmware update, and I'm excited about developing for the iLiad now

Concerning the updating of the registry: The script can get the line numbers of the lines containing with <applications> and </applications>, snip everything between those lines and replace it with what's in the /mnt/settings/registry/applications directory.
And similarly for the extensionInfos section.
That way any changes to other parts of the registry are unaffected.

Furthermore, on first install of the update-registry package these sections of the registry.xml can be exported to a /mnt/settings/registry/applications and /mnt/settings/registry/extensionInfos directory to ensure that earlier settings from those sections are saved.

The drawback here is that any direct changes to the applications or extensionInfos sections of the registry.xml file after installation of the update-registry package would be overwritten on every execution of update-registry.

Splitting the sections into individual entries for each applications and file extension would indeed be nice.
On one hand I think I would leave that for a later version, on the other hand I've always been a fan of designing things right the first time around.
Martijn is offline   Reply With Quote