View Single Post
Old 06-24-2010, 11:01 AM   #5
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLee View Post
Ah ok. So Taiwan still hasn't picked up eReaders just yet.

I am curious as to what type of devices they have over in China aside from the iPad knockoff called the iPed I saw a few weeks ago. After seeing the video for the iPed, I was very unimpressed. Screen did not seem as responsive from what I can tell and the OS was kinda laggy. Maybe they missed the point but the iPad is more than just the cool design.
It's not really for a lack of trying that Taiwan isn't taking to them...selection is pretty poor and the devices are really unconvincing. I usually tell people who ask me about mine to not bother for a while, and that seems to be a very agreeable way to go. If you're a Chinese reader, paper books are easy and convenient to get, pretty inexpensive, and far more readable than E-Ink.

As far as devices in China, the go-to website is usually mobread (heh, a few things to chuckle at in that name). Some of the bigger names are shown there, with a bunch of more domestic brands. Design usually ranges from pretty bad to laughable, and there are plenty of clone devices. Of course there are also the craptablets that do little but to make the iPad look good, and there are probably plenty of them in Shenzhen in particular, but there's a pretty healthy proliferation of e-paper devices. Unfortunately, there's pretty much no innovation, and design tends to be very incompetent. Sad as it may sound, most of the devices available outside of China are the cream of the crop.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote