View Single Post
Old 07-06-2014, 03:48 AM   #1
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Attn plugin developers: calibre moving to Qt 5

Hi all,

calibre will soon be moving to using Qt 5 in place of Qt 4 as its GUI library. If you have created plugins that use the GUI (User Interface plugins) then you will need to do a little porting to have your plugins work with both Qt 4 and Qt 5. The porting work is mostly mechanical search and replace, unless you happen to use some obscure corners of Qt. In the next post of this thread, I will add a guide to cover the most common porting tasks.

Beta builds of calibre with Qt 5 are available here:

http://download.calibre-ebook.com/betas/

The betas are fully compatible with current stable calibre releases, in that you can use them on the same library/configuration folder with no problems (indeed my family and I have been running the Qt 5 based calibre code base for almost two months). However, if you want to be doubly cautious, use the portable install with a special test library.

I encourage you to port your plugins as soon as possible so that when calibre 2.0 is released, which will use Qt 5, your plugins will continue to work.

I am happy to help you with any issues you encounter during porting. Feel free to post in this thread with questions, and I will answer them to the best of my ability.

Finally, these are beta builds, and because of the large numbers of OSes that calibre supports I haven't been able to test them on everything, so if you notice any bugs feel free to let me know.

The status of the plugin porting effort can be monitored here: http://plugins.calibre-ebook.com/porting.html

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 07-18-2014 at 03:19 AM.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote