View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 12:04 AM   #227
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by sombreastre View Post
I know this is not what you want to hear, but to those of you who enjoy listening to audiobooks, I heartily suggest to do it with a standard mp3-player: they've gotten extremely cheap and rugged these days(unlike ebook readers), and almost all of them come with a bookmark function.
So far, that's my preferred method. Like you said, mp3's are so inexpensive these days. I have two Sansa Clips that I keep loaded with the same audiobook library. So if I kill the battery on one, I stick it on the charger, and pick up on the freshly charged Sansa. I keep it clipped to my collar w/ short cord earbuds. I've had quite a few other mp3 players, but so far, my Sansas are the only ones that handle audiobook properly, with chapters, bookmarks and when I shuffle music, it doesn't shuffle audiobooks chapters into the mix. It keeps them separate.

That being said, I'm "trying" to use the Audible app on the phone, w/ a bluetooth headset. It's still small, but I have to get used to using the controls of a BT controller, and make sure I stay in range of my phone. Time will tell if I can get used to it, just to keep my books synced, or if it's just a novelty that will bore me in a few weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
My personal objection to the one ereader we tested at work that also had an text to speech function is that unless the book had the added markers (and not all that many of the ones that we tried did), the voice is very monotonous. I'm tempted to say robotic.
I think I tested the text-to-voice once, and I couldn't concentrate because it was so monotonous. I won't listen to an audio book if it's just read, I want the narration to be performed! Thankfully, audio books are just getting better and better. Thus far, I still think "The Help" is the best performed/narrated audio book I have ever listened to. That's how an audio book is done!
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote