Thread: CSS / dropcaps
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012, 09:45 AM   #46
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldpilot View Post
Oh, I couldn't agree more! Drop-caps remind me of medieval monks illuminating their manuscripts, and I have a happy feeling that I am settling into a soft chair by an open fire and sharing ideas with someone who cared how his (well, all the monks were male!) books actually looked.

You may have noticed, on the KDP forum this morning, that the KF8 update for the Kindle K3 keyboard reader seems to render drop-caps four lines deep, though the cap itself is scarcely three lines high, resulting in a rather silly effect whereby the cap sits to the left of lines 2 and 3 rather than at the top of the paragraph. Of course, this may have been only Punchy Gonzalez's CSS, but it confirms my decision to steer clear of drop-caps for the time being.
ADE will do that effect if you have the wrong Line-height called for your DC to main body font. It is a PITA to get it to look right, only to see some other reader SW render it totally different
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote