View Single Post
Old 06-26-2011, 02:42 AM   #59
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
The Magic Mountain was first published in 1924. So it's not in PD in the US.

Thomas Mann died in 1955. It is in PD in the life+50 countries such as Canada, Japan and Taiwan.

It's not PD in Australia either as only deaths prior to 1955 are in PD.
thanks FBone - what I thought is the original German version, having been published in 1924, was indeed in the public domain, but the translation in English wasn't. The translation was commissioned by the US distributor. So I thought that whether or not it is public domain in the UK (where I am) depends on whether the tranlsation is considered of sufficient originality to be entitled to coyright, too (well, my copyright info source is this document).
Now as the file I have states
Quote:
Copyright 1927 by Alfred A. Knopf, Inc.
Copyright renewed 1955 by Alfred A. Knopf, Inc.
Copyright 1952 by Thomas Mann
I guessed it was not public domain. But if I got it wrong, and you think this is public domain in Canada, would it be legitimate if I uploaded the EPUB version on the site? Thanks for your help!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote