View Single Post
Old 08-14-2015, 06:31 AM   #9
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
With the Silmarillion, most of the releases are either about Tolkien's academic works or a look at the growth of the LOTR/Hobbit universe. A lot of people (including myself) find that sort of stuff interesting, but it's probably not for the casual reader. This particular book should be interesting in that regard. I was, of course, aware that Tolkien used the various Nordic/Anglo-Saxon source materials (His translation of Beowulf is widely respected), but I didn't know he used the Finnish epics.

One thing to keep in mind is that much of the material released after his death is in pretty rough form. Tolkien spent years and years polishing The Hobbit and LOTR.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote