View Single Post
Old 10-15-2010, 11:17 AM   #52
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamselene View Post
A few things:

Honestly, MobiPocket is such a crappy format that I would strongly advise avoiding it at all costs, with the sole exception of using it as an output format to display on a Kindle. For all other purposes, you should use ePub. I only wrote the original mobiunpack.py because I tried to decompress the dictionary with other tools, it took more than 30 minutes, and I wanted to demonstrate that it could be done much better (even in Python).
Yes, I have to agree with you there, regarding mobi vs. epub format. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure (don't have access to actual sales figures) that Kindle is our largest e-book sales outlet. So I'm always interested in learning how to deal with it better.

Thanks for the background information. I find it fascinating. Mobiunpack is a great tool for looking at what's inside the mobi package, and thanks to it I can actually SEE what you're talking about. I've been dabbling in ebook format conversions since Aportis Doc and Peanut Reader on Palm Pilots, but it has only been recently that I've taken a more "professional" interest. So much to learn!
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote