Thread: Saga of Recluce
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013, 01:46 AM   #39
morningstar79
morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
My initial reaction is to read in written order. I can't point to specific instances, but there will be times when you read a passage and something just "clicks" from one of the previous books...you won't necessarily get that if read in chronological order.
I couldn't express the impact of reading the Saga of Recluce in order of publication better if I hired Chaucer to do it for me. Thank you, Turtle91!!! It is certainly published out of chronological order for a reason, and I do believe that is part of the reason I fell in love with the series. Not often can an author capture an audience for a series in length of 16 novels and counting (yes, he is writing book #17 as we speak!!!), and keep them wanting more. Given the complexities and dimensions of the storyline presented in this series, I do have to say that reading in chronological order is certainly called for--as a second reading, and as to solidify everything you've put together upon your first reading.

If there is one thing I can say, Creslin was hard (for me) to get through. Based on him alone I could have hung the series up to dry, it was knowing I would read more of Justen that kept me going...until I met Dorrin. It is only with hindsight that I appreciate the information given in book #2.

Beyond that, while I wish I could comment on your "Hobbit" reference to reading things "in order", I found all of my attempts to read any of Tolkien's books frustrating at best. Perhaps I just need to give it some time. On the other hand, the fact that I put quotations around "in order" made me giggle considering our topic of discussion. Am I bound to order because I have acknowledged it's presence and use, or have my chaos senses just recognized and located the order focus? lol
morningstar79 is offline   Reply With Quote