View Single Post
Old 10-19-2012, 08:11 AM   #10
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Some authors I have noticed will offer the first one or two books in a series to get customers hooked then charge for the rest of the series. That's called a loss leader and David Weber does that with his Honor Harringtion series. I can see that and I like being able to see if I like an author's writing style before I commit my hard earned dollars.
The Honorverse series runs 16 books so far; release one or two as free intros is fine. But what of a writer with maybe three standalone books? And the BAEN ebooks are DRM-free.
As Bujold is about to discover, once those things are out on the net they never go away.
Free is good, free is useful.
But not always, not for everybody.
(Example: Putting a Keith Laumer in the library makes sense: a great writer with a deep catalog that is often neglected. Putting Tom Goodwin? Not so much.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote