View Single Post
Old 02-04-2012, 03:39 AM   #33
LeftyRight
LeftyRight will become famous soon enoughLeftyRight will become famous soon enoughLeftyRight will become famous soon enoughLeftyRight will become famous soon enoughLeftyRight will become famous soon enoughLeftyRight will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 4 NT
LuBiB

Thanks for your comprehensive review.

It's nice to finally find such a detailed examination of the Jetbook Color.

Onto the questions.

------------------------------------------------

In the section where you say :-

"Highlighting: You hold the stylus to the start point, drag it to the end point, and then select “Menu” when it pops up. Here you’ll have the options to: Explain with Oxford, Translate in Dictionary, Translate (in their text translator – set to Spanish right now), and Mark for Summary (this is cool bc you can save the text you highlighted for later in a separate section – which you can then click the “Menu” key and access.) "

What other languages are available ? Apart from your current setting of Spanish ?

On the specs sheet it says :-

"Pictured dictionaries for 38 languages
Cross translator for 180 languages"

Really looking to have both Italian (for my niece) and German (for me).

Does this device have the gyroscope feature where if it is turned from portrait into landscape (& vice versa) it automatically adjusts (ie so that up is always up) ?

Or does this have to be always set manually ? (ie changing setting from portrait into landscape).

I see on several of your photos what looks like a "dead" pixel.

(I have included what photos they are by their file name and indicated where abouts it occurs on the screen.)

Notably :-

IMG_0050.jpg on the right hand side virtually on the red arrow point.

IMG_0053.jpg on the right hand side directly below the red arrow point.

IMG_0058.jpg on the right hand side under the M in Menu.

IMG_0063.jpg on the right hand side just above the grey bar that says "task 1 of 21.".

IMG_0064.jpg on the right hand side in the row marked "Essay hints".

IMG_0066.jpg on the right hand side in the row marked "applesauce".

IMG_0067.jpg on the right hand side just above the keyboard.

IMG_0069.jpg on the right hand side in the bottom "wave file".

IMG_0071.jpg on the right hand side to the right and slightly below of the red arrow.

IMG_0072.jpg on the right hand side starting at the bottom it's 3 squares from the right and 3 squares up.

IMG_0073.JPG on the right hand side starting at the bottom it's just above the keyboard and is the first whole visible square as you go up.

IMG_0076.JPG on the right hand side directly to the left of the red arrow.

IMG_0079.jpg on the right hand side just above the word "rad".

IMG_0080.jpg on the right hand side below the bluish "H".

IMG_0081.jpg on the right hand side seen just to the right of the numbers "1.60 x 10" below the "-" sign.

IMG_0083.jpg on the right hand side seen just to the right of the grassy area.

Is this the dreaded "dead" pixel that LCD devices suffer from or just some foam from the packaging the device was in ?

I am not sure whether this is the correct terminology (dead pixel) for e-ink devices (as they are different technology from LCD) but it sure looks like it to me.

Also I note in this photo :-

IMG_0070.jpg there can clearly be seen the word "Requests" under the phrase "Thank you" (towards the bottom of the page).

If it was a plasma device I'd be thinking burn in and yet with e-ink I don't even know if an "after image" is applicable.

You can also see an after image in several other of your photos (in particular) :-

IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

Is it that apparent to the naked eye ?

Once again many thanks for your in depth review.

cheers

LeftyRight

PS Like my fellow countryman LovePlanetEarth I am waiting to see which is the best of all the 10inch devices.

I intend to use my device as an ebook reader / language learner so any of the other goodies on there are just a bonus to me.

I have no love of LCD screens which cause me eye strain and have narrowed my choice down to these three - Kindle DX, Onyx Boox M92, and the Jetbook Color.

A comparison of the three devices would be very much appreciated.

Last edited by LeftyRight; 02-04-2012 at 03:41 AM. Reason: Adding extra infomration
LeftyRight is offline   Reply With Quote