View Single Post
Old 12-23-2012, 08:56 AM   #81
deddajay
Cynical Pragmatist
deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle PW1 & PW2, Samsung Tab S7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I'm all for less features on my reader to keep me happy. My Sony 350s are perfect for me. I don't need or even want internet, I prefer to side-load my books and keep everything in one place in a Calibre library. I also added a "Read" column in Calibre where I keep track of the books I've read without having to go to another website. I have games installed with PRS+ but I don't play them at all.

If I want to listen to an audio book (can't remember the last time I did that though) or listen to music, I have a tiny Sansa Clip mp3 player that's much smaller and lighter than carrying an ereader around for that. And I'm no longer obsessed keeping every single book on my reader at all times, I only keep about 100 on now.

I don't want to read on a phone or on a bigger tablet, I only want to read on e-ink since I read outdoors a lot and back lit screens are just garbage for reading in the sun.

It's "KISS" for me as far as my ereader goes.
Agree with the above, I love my PRS650 with PRS+ because it is simple, and I also read outdoors a lot. I prefer to side load using Calibre because I can organise my collections my way. I don't use Facebook, Twitter etc - I don't want to provide a chapter by chapter discussion about what I'm reading to others - how boring is that! I don't want to make notes or copy quotes although I can appreciate that this could be useful for text books. I just want to get lost in a good book without distractions and have access to a decent dictionary, a way of organising my own library and using my preferred choice of font.

My beloved PRS 650 gave up the ghost a few weeks ago and I looked around for an alternative. Not finding one I liked, I invested in a new battery and I'm hoping it will give me a couple more years of reading. The only thing that I would wish for would be a built in light, but I don't want all the other bells and whistles that seem to go with it. I have a smart phone for all that.
deddajay is offline   Reply With Quote