View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 04:32 AM   #38
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by uebyn View Post
Why am I still saying this NOW? Precisely because there're so many converts now, I'm wondering: why did you switch to ebooks? Have you forgotten the pleasure of books browsing, or is the e-book experience comparable to that of the old-school experience? Or has convenience displaced experience?
I loved book-browsing; however, it rarely resulted in me getting books--I couldn't afford them. I also couldn't carry several days' reading around in my purse; at 2 hours for a 50,000-word novel, I can and do finish one new book on the bus to my doctor, and want something else to read on the way back.

I also read a lot of fanfiction, which doesn't have a printed form. (Fanfic exploded when it hit the internet; the zine days didn't have 250,000-word stories. Nobody could afford to print them.)

I never could afford new books to keep up with my reading; I relied a lot on friends' recs and borrowed books and yard sales. Now, I read a lot of freebies and self-published things with interesting-sounding blurbs.

I'm entirely willing to forgo the "pleasure of book-browsing" for the pleasure of endless things to read, especially since they come in a single lightweight package that changes fonts to match the light level or my eyes' tiredness.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote