View Single Post
Old 06-10-2019, 12:48 PM   #14
avshadler
avshadler began at the beginning.

Device: Personal Reader
A new way to read -- with a face mounted display

I found MobileRead by googling moverio and book reading.

The comments on this thread are very interesting!!

Motion sickness is often caused by discordant information on where your head is relation to your body and the world. When you are reading with a virtual image device -- like the Moverio[TM Epson] -- the page image moves exactly with your head -- against a real-world background. If most of the field of view is real-world , the moving image reinforces the sense of where your head is in relation to your body and the world -- and produces a mildly pleasurable sensation. For me, it worked when I rotated my head from side to side at about .5 to .3 Hz. [I was using a gadget that I made myself -- for another purpose] I suspect that , like motion sickness , the effect is very variable from person to person . If the effect is real and widespread , it may make reading more enjoyable -- with special benefit for those who are chronically or temporarily mobility impaired. Maybe people who have a Moverio or a similar device can make "Virtual Swing" parties to test the extent of this phenomenon

Reading with Moverio or other suitable Face Mounted Display [FMD] enables reading with both hands free -- to eat , knit, read instructions and work with your hands -- or maybe even nurse a baby.

It also lets you read in the dark without disturbing others -- or read where there is no space to hold a book -- like a crowded subway or sleeping bag.

It makes possible reading with very bright imagery -- which is important for older people -- while not requiring high power lamps -- which might also be disturbing to others nearby.

It may allow reading in cars or other situations where there is too much vibration -- if there is a comfortable -- maybe personalized --nose-piece.

Another advantage is that you can read with your eyes focused at a distance -- instead of close up -- which may be beneficial in reducing the tendency for book reading intensive people to develop myopia .

Epson Moverio is not intended primarily for reading -- though its OLED micro-displays have full color pixels that are theoretically only 1 minute of arc on a side when viewed through their optics. The actual image quality probably depends on exactly where the user's eyes are in relation to the system optics -- which depends on their interpupilary distance and the distance of their eyes from the see-through screen. It probably also depends on whether they are looking at the center of the page image or the corner and whether the image is black text on a white background , or vice versa -- or colored . Someone with a moverio might like to run a resolution test with a resolution test target on the screen.

Moverio's see-thru optics and the need to see imagery against a bright sky background make it relatively power hungry. A system designed primarily for reading -- and not see through -- could be extremely efficient in energy use --and very good for back packers and people who are off the grid.

I am working on the development of something I call the Personal Reader[TM]. At this point it looks like we can make a 50 gram device that enables you to read with both eyes for hours at a time without eyestrain The images are sharp, clear i-pad/page size/ portrait oriented and full color. The best compromise at this point appears to be the equivalent of a 8x6 inch information area at 50 cm -- or about a 10 inch 28 degree diagonal.
The 50 cm reading distance is based on what people choose when they are looking forward, reading 10 point type and the screen or page image is decoupled from the need to hold something in their hand.

[When people hold printed documents in their hands they average about 40 cm]

Devices with both larger and smaller angular page sizes will probably also be developed.

It should also fit in a shirt pocket and cost on the order of $50-200 -- depending on production volume and the cost of suitable micro-display.

It needs only one microdisplay for bi-ocular imagery and both Epson & Sony already have the technology to make the kind of microdisplay that we need -- at least for starters. Our system is designed so that the micro-display can be upgraded /replaced as better versions become available or if there is "burnout" when used in very high brightness modes.

Our system can also be used as a passive microscope --and can be used to read microfiche on ambient light. The result is that it can be used on the Sabbath by Sabbath Observant Jews -- for reading books on microfiche.

If you would like to see a published, one page poster from a SID Dresden 2017 Europe conference on this-- with an update to this month -- -- I would be glad to send it to you as an attachment [avshadler@yahoo.com]
avshadler is offline   Reply With Quote