View Single Post
Old 08-16-2007, 12:28 PM   #130
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherdman View Post
I've just begun reading The Night's Dawn trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton (The Reality Dysfunction, The Neutronium Alchemist, The Naked God). I've heard that they're the George R.R. Martin books of science fiction. I hope that's true because this is A LOT of reading...
They are splendid, chock full of casually tossed off ideas other writers would make whole books of. There is also a short story volume set in that universe.

The series even ends with a Deus Ex Machina, but Hamilton makes it work. The volumes were big enough that they were published as two mass market paperbacks a piece. A friend started "The Reality Dysfunction" on my recommendation. Unfortunately, the publisher made no indication of the first PB that it was part one of a two book series. My friend was so upset at running into the metaphorical wall at the end of the first half that he refused to read anything else by Hamilton. That was a publisher's stupidity that Peter had no control over, but my friend was unmoved. Pity, as he's missing good stuff.

I've met Hamilton, and he's a neat guy. He estimated he'd made perhaps a couple of hundred dollars on royalties for ebook editions, and didn't see it as a significant force in publishing. Well, no surprise, as his publisher didn't make it obvious back then that there were electronic editions, or make it easy to find and buy them. That was a few years back. I wonder if he's seen more electronic sales since?
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote