View Single Post
Old 10-19-2013, 07:27 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGoldman View Post
If you search for "calibre library disappeared" in Google, you find many hits. So I don't agree that it's improbable that Calibre has a defect. Indeed, based on google results, I draw exactly the opposite conclusion. On mobile reader alone, I see 4 results, and there are similar questions on other boards.
While there is a first time for everything, in 5 years of using calibre and over 4.5 years actively on this forum there has never been one time calibre caused any actual file tree to disappear. There was a time during 2009 when calibre did allow users to totally clutter up existing book trees by creating the calibre library in a source directory of existing books. Things got cluttered but nothing went missing. Calibre now has precautions in place to protect new users from this happening.

In the past when a library "disappeared" it was due to the metadata.db file being accidentally deleted or corrupted. The metadata.db file contains virtually everything you actually see in the library. On occasion a user dragged and dropped it elsewhere or deleted it thinking it was redundant. There was at least one instance where some one dragged and dropped their entire tree accidentally (not unheard of in windows) to an unknown location. They were able to find out where by searching for the metadata.db file and all was well.

Quote:
If I had somehow messed this up, either moving or removing the files accidentally, (a) the files should have been found using "find" or searchlight, or (b) if I had deleted the files, they should have been found in the Mac's trash (which has not been emptied in months).
I'm not a Mac user but I don't know if you tell calibre to remove a book if it gets placed in the trash.

Are you sure the epub files are missing?

Are you sing any Sync or cloud software?

Quote:
Since my books are gone completely, I am inclined to believe that this was done at a level below the Mac's GUI (using the equivalent of Unix's "rm" command). I will see if I can figure out when this happened by looking at my disk backups when I return from my trip (with much of my library inaccessible )
I am curious what you find out. In the interim have a nice trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
why do you not just restore your backup of your library and see how that goes?
He stated that he would attempt this when he returns from his trip.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 10-19-2013 at 07:32 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote