View Single Post
Old 09-02-2011, 12:15 AM   #33
beespeckled
Zealot
beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: KOBO Aura One; Kindle Oasis 3
I recently finished Dance w/dragons. My first Ebook purchase after having my reader for over a year. Never thought I would purchase an Ebook, but there you have it, George Martin has me sucked into this series. Blatant cheesy cliffhanger marketing that it is, I'm hooked. if he couldn't tell a good story I wouldn't be waiting for book 6.

My thoughts: Yes, he could edit out much and just get on with it! PLEASE! I get the idea of the debauched treacherousness of these characters without having every little nasty detail minutely described. but despite this, he paints a world of multidimensional characters that keeps me coming back.

I do like this narrative style. I feel like it allows the full view of the characters without confusing me about which character is which. Normally, if there are too many characters I lose track and interest quickly.

I only started the first book about a month and a half ago, and breezed through the first 4 in like a month, not that I am a fast reader, but usually life gets in the way, usually my average is about 3 weeks to finish a 300+ page book. But with this series, my every extra moment was taken up with reading.

I see many classic storytelling themes in this series. Shakespeare, (Edward III, Macbeth, King Lear comes to mind) Tolkien but also Robert Graves I, Claudius. Tyrion especially makes me think of Claudius. I haven't read I, Claudius (just familiar with the tale thru PBS series) but now I want to read I, Claudius.

I give this series a big thumbs up! BUT reader beware...nothing is sacred in these books :P

Last edited by beespeckled; 09-02-2011 at 12:17 AM. Reason: rephrasing
beespeckled is offline   Reply With Quote