View Single Post
Old 04-25-2018, 09:00 PM   #39
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
AFAIK, there are no mainstream epub2 apps that actually support ligatures (and other OpenType features). What apps/readers do you use to test ligatures?

Is there a ligature bug in the Calibre subsetting code? If so, you might want to report it to Kovid, if you haven't already done so. (When I reported a font subsetting problem with Arabic fonts a couple of years ago he fixed it the same day and the fix made it into the weekly Calibre build.)
Umm, a little known epub 2 renderer called Adobe RMSDK supports ligatures and kerning (and maybe other opentype features).

In fact, Here are a couple of screenshots from my Kobo of a test epub. First screenshot is the in built Georgia font, which clearly has no ligatures. The second screenshot, I switched to Alegreya, which does.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Georgia No Lig.png
Views:	354
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	163674   Click image for larger version

Name:	Alegreya Lig.png
Views:	398
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	163675  
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote