View Single Post
Old 04-25-2018, 02:23 PM   #38
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
I'll just quote some "fuzzy" comments on this thread:

What conforts me, is that you seem to understand each other... Do you?
Conforts? Sorry, is that contort? And yes, bless his heart, Tox manages to understand what the hell I'm talking about. He's helped us, a lot, outside of the MR sphere, so he's probably more accustomed to speaking fluent Hitch.

Quote:
On another recent MR thread but on the same topic, I found this:

I am afraid that at this point something more clear and concrete is expected. You may be sued for defamation at the MR court.

I do not know of which "punctuation symbols" you were speaking. You only quoted the shy which is quite widely supported.

Oh, great, I've slept since then. I vaguely remember the thread, and I remember that somewhere in time, we discussed the fact that Calibre didn't subset the shy. I think. I don't remember, I cheerfully admit, where that came to my brain. Oh, right, the bloody Edge browser.

If memory serves, we'd stumbled across an issue...a client used the Edge browser to view a book. (Not intentionally; we now have to warn clients NOT to double-click the bloody ePUB, if they're running Win10, because the book will automagically open, in Edge, which doesn't always display the books to their best, to put it mildly.)

Anyway, the browser used hyphenation, which we had turned OFF, per the client's instructions. The shy was displaying...either not at all, or the Edge browser was substituting its own version. That part, I don't remember. Nonetheless, my point was, obviously, Calibre didn't subset the shy, because, in our intended version, it wasn't used. That makes perfect sense. Unfortunately, what was borne home to me in that visceral way was that we don't always control whether or not that's used by the end reader--and if it's not subset, we can run into those issues, with Edge, Moonreader, etc., again.

That's how I got there, to that. If I'd known that there was going to be a test, I'd have taken screenshots. ;-)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote