Thread: Newbie issues
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 02:34 PM   #13
dheg
dheg began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Any reason you have not moved onto one of the later releases?
I'm not really a RC tester , RC10 looked stable when I went for it since there some talks about making a final (you know what I mean ).

RC11 and RC12, both seemed to have some issues (NFS stale handle, non-compatible NIC driver), but the no-go for me was the issues with SimpleFeatures. Whether is SF or unRAID, I don't really care, I have a pretty stable system right now.

I have an unRAID sandbox with RC11 (that's the beauty of ESXi) and have run some tests, but don't have the time nor the spare hard drives to play with it much.

Quote:
I am running both the unRAID server and my Windows system natively (not in VM's) and cannot remember when I last had a crash. Having said that although a particular VM might go wrong I would not expect the system as a whole to crash.
When I said it crashed, I meant Calibre crashed, all my VM (a total of 5, including unRAID) are pretty stable. They are very good boys, they don't go down unless I told them so

Quote:
I looked at using ESXi as a host for unRAID and it looks an attractive way to run it. I actually have my unRAID system set up so that I can boot into ESXi 5.1 as an option but am not running unRAID that way. I found that it appears the motherboard I have set up does not support 'pass-thru' of my SAS controllers under ESXi and I appear to need that to run unRAID easily under ESXi, particularly with disks larger than 2TB. I have been thinking of having another go at getting unRAID working under ESXi using RDM for the disks instead of PassThru as ESXi would be a very desirable way to run unRAID, but have just not found the time.
It's been expensive, but money very well spent. I run naked unRAID, no plugins other than SF, so apart from stability of my valuable files and system as a whole, it's also pretty easy to update.

If you go for it, RDM is a pain and it kind of kills the easiness of having unRAID virtualized, but off course you need a vtd compatible MB.
I have an M1015 flashed to IT, and a RES2SV240 intel expander for a total of 24 drives running from a single PCI slot (only using 8 at the moment). A drive dies, or I need to expand my array, and it's a walk in the park.

Look in the unRAID forums, in you haven't done so already, for the Atlas thread by jonhm. Really useful stuff there. And I'm sure, if you are in this forum, you won't mind reading the whole thread
dheg is offline   Reply With Quote