View Single Post
Old 05-23-2018, 08:29 PM   #15
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
I was delighted by the phrase "the diffusive productions of fruitful mediocrity", but it reflects a painful reality for Goldsmith. There is quite a lot of autobiography in the Vicar's son's peregrinations. After settling in London and trying to support himself in various occupations, including as an school usher, Goldsmith maintained himself indifferently as a Grub Street hack for several decades. He could rarely have had the time available to produce works of high calibre. Like Edward Thomas, it speaks for his talent that he managed to produce some enduring works.

He really nails the humiliations of dependency here:
"I had twenty other little employments in the family. I was to do many small things without bidding; to carry the cork screw; to stand godfather to all the butler’s children..."
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote