View Single Post
Old 02-27-2012, 03:41 AM   #8
matejs
matejs plays well with othersmatejs plays well with othersmatejs plays well with othersmatejs plays well with othersmatejs plays well with othersmatejs plays well with othersmatejs plays well with othersmatejs plays well with othersmatejs plays well with othersmatejs plays well with othersmatejs plays well with others

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by duxbelli View Post
... if this just deletes the update.bin, what prevents amazon from trying again the next day?

matejs or cscat -- have you found a way to simply disable the automatic updates in general?
Hi.

I found a script which is run before updates. It checks if the file exists, if there is > 15% battery and so on. I just modified it a little, so it would claim it doesn't have enough battery and exit before calling the update process (if /mnt/us/DISABLE_OTA doesn't exist, it proceeds with update as normal).

It doesn't delete anything (so the update.bin doesn't download all the time).
However, when you restart the Kindle, something else attempts to install the update while starting up, fails and then deletes the update binary.

Since the /usr/sbin/otaup is still there, future OTA updates MAY install, if they skip the checks in the modified script above. I don't think that is likely though.

So, this should disable OTA updates (and all updates) in general.
matejs is offline   Reply With Quote