View Single Post
Old 05-21-2011, 01:44 PM   #13
paulrw
Enthusiast
paulrw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle keyboard, Kindle Oasis, iPhone, iPad, PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Colors don't work well in selection based grids. As soon as you select the row all your coloring will be lost. Do a search bringing back only one row and you can't see any coloring at all.

You can do all of your four options with a format column as I suggested. As I think you also wrote somewhere and has been posted elsewhere on this forum you can use a paper format for representing those books. So the one formats column will give you all you want without any separate updating or maintenance required.
Sorry - it won't I don't have enough screen width as I said, and from a GUI point of view looking across at another column and reading an entry is vastly inferior to seeing a colour. It is like you saying there is no point in having stars in the rating column because you can read the number - true, but very far from ideal.
Your point about losing the colour with a selection is irrelevant, I am talking about instant visibility in a straightforward view. For more complex operations involving selection the possibility of using a category still exists.
I have attached a couple of mockups to show what I am after - ignore the formats and category columns, I just included them to show the derivation of the colours. The first is the ideal, the second just takes the rating stars as an example but uses colours rather than stars to express the underlying value (a coloured star?)
I suppose the real issue is whether I am alone in wanting this - it seems unlikely, but then by definition I am normal and everyone else is odd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cal-col.PNG
Views:	179
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	71700   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cal-icon.PNG
Views:	187
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	71701  
paulrw is offline   Reply With Quote