View Single Post
Old 04-15-2010, 09:57 PM   #16
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
That's what most people I talk with are saying: "The closed system doesn't really affect me, because I'm satisfied with what is available and I don't miss much what isn't". But that means that censorship (if we can call it that) only bothers us when it affects things we wanted to have access to? Even if the approved apps/content could cover all my needs and more, I still resent the fact that Apple has to approve them first.
That's the thing. Before I didn't really consider it censorship. Just rejecting apps that did things they didn't want on their device, rejecting apps that had vulgarity and other offensive things as they want all apps to be family friendly.

I can deal with that--I don't like it, but I wouldn't buy any of those kind of apps anyway as I'd only be buying newspaper/weather apps, comic apps, e-book apps, productivity apps etc.

But when it starts to teeter toward censoring content I get very wary.

I just hope someone gets their head out of their ass and makes a tablet that matches the easy of use, pinch zoom (or something better), responsivity and quality of the touch screen, form factor, build quality, battery life etc. of the iPad and avoids these type of Apple shortcomings (along with lack of a file system, lack of drag and drop etc.).

I hope it doesn't end up like the MP3 arena where you can get other products that work fine, but nothing as slick as the iPods in interface, ease of syncing your library, build quality, design etc. And I say that as someone who didn't buy my first iPod until buying a Nano last month as FM tuner was a must and the 5th gen is the first iPod to add it built in!
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote