View Single Post
Old 02-23-2021, 12:13 PM   #51
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Reasons to teach books include general cultural knowledge and appreciation and the ability to engage with a text, to question it and to understand it.
But the problem is that making people read fiction doesn't teach them that, unless the teacher is very, very good and usually he/she isn't. I didn't get anything valuable at all from my school literature lessons, nor did anyone else I know. It's not that way with language lessons, mathematics, biology etc. But it is with literature lessons. Of course you may have had a different experience; then you're lucky.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote