Thread: Literary Chess Story by Stefan Zweig
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2013, 03:22 AM   #8
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnenmonat View Post
Now I would like to raise something that confuses me. I just read and found the life story of the chess genius quite charming. I had thought, it would be a story with intention of psychological analysis of a eccentric talented man but I was wrong. This interesting figure is nearly forgotten as the story get a new figure in and turn to another direction. The leading role in the beginning becomes a supporting role, and I can't find any sensible try from the author to balance this two figures and make a sense. I just want to ask, is it that necessary to present the world champion and his life in such a detailed way?
In my mind, I think the author had two reasons for this. The first is the "literary" necessity and the role of the World Champion as the antagonist to Dr. B. In a certain way he is a symbol of the Nazis.

I don't know if the second (much smaller) reason is right but maybe Stefan Zweig wanted to make sure that Mirko Czentovic is a product of his brain and not the personification of any of the best chess players of this time although he borrowed from this and that master. Especially the reigning world champion Alexander Aljechin did arrange himself with and supported Nazi Germany after the occupation of France.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote