View Single Post
Old 05-14-2008, 07:26 AM   #6
cstross
Cynic
cstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enough

Device: Lots, started with a Psion 3 circa 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingston View Post
Excuse my curiosity, but could you explain why your are dissatisfied with the 505?
1. Bad ergonomics. (I'm left-handed. Can't use it at all in its original cover, although that's no loss; more to the point, the page forward/back buttons are inconveniently positioned on the left rocker and small and difficult to press on the right screen edge.)

2. I can't use the Sony Store. (I'm in the UK and don't have a US credit card so I can't use the US store. The UK/EU store is behind schedule -- not open yet. And in any event, it requires Windows to get at, and it's DRM'd up the wazoo, both of which are huge turn-offs.)

3. Even if I could use the storefront to buy current titles, I'd be limited to Sony's wholesale arrangements. The PRS-505 doesn't support ePub yet (IIRC) and thus I'm limited to those publishers who're doing provisioning in LRF. Which is a small subset of the market.

4. No annotation capability. Poor PDF viewing capability. No clock. etcetera ...

In a nutshell: the PRS-505 is an acceptable(ish) substitute for a paperback book; it's suitable for casual reading. It's not very flexible, it doesn't allow me to make notes in any way, and the range of commercial content for it is -- from my perspective -- non-existent.

What I really want is ideally a PalmOS device with an 800x600 epaper screen (and PalmOS apps refactored to work on the big screen). Or an iPod Touch, ditto. But failing that, I'm looking for something else ...
cstross is offline   Reply With Quote