View Single Post
Old 05-31-2011, 06:50 AM   #76
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Less glare, justified text in a central column

Calibre's viewer is quite capable, but as many have pointed out, staring at a computer monitor for any length of time begins to strain the eyes.

I've modified the css from Ekaser's post, to create a dark charcoal gray background with barely gray text. Resulting in distinct, but not too extreme, contrast to avoid a "glare" effect.

The margins are very wide (350px) to create a column of justified text within the center of the screen (intended for 20"+ monitors, otherwise margins will need editing downward). Note that the viewer is used full window. (Not full screen - which removes the option to see the taskbar & system tray.)

I've manually increased font size in the viewer, not in the CSS. That is the only un-accounted for change in the viewer snapshot. (I imagine font size can be set via CSS, but sometimes I vary the size.)

Code:
body {
color: rgb(235,235,235);
background-color:rgb(20,20,20);
text-align:justify;
line-spacing:1.8;
margin-top:0px;
margin-bottom:4px;
margin-right:350px !important;
margin-left:350px !important;
text-indent:2em;
}
h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6 {
color: rgb(235,235,235);
text-align:center;
font-style:italic;
font-weight:bold;
}
This results in a a fairly dark, monochrome color palette which prevents desktop elements from distracting you while reading - while leaving them available if you quickly need to access them.

If you would like darker text, change the topmost "color: rgb(235,235,235);" line to a lower number. Keeping all three sets of numbers the same will result in a true gray.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Viewer.jpg
Views:	4152
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	72116  
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote