View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 01:55 PM   #1030
Dylan Tomorrow
Connoisseur
Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Android smartphone w/ FBReader
Smile AO3-related feature request and question

JimmXinu, again I have a feature request . Plus a question .

Fanfics downloaded from AO3 with FFDL are currently missing the language metadata. That leads to my Kindle Touch opening the wrong (German) dictionary while reading English fanfics because without language metadata it defaults to the UI localization language. (So I bulk-add it manually, which is admittedly pretty easy, provided I don't forget to do it when I downloaded something new )

AO3 does support multiple languages, but I have not found a language indicator anywhere inside the source of e.g. this German story, so could you in the meantime give users the option to set a default language (in my case English, I have sofar only read English ffs there)?

And, longer-term, I am gonna contact them and ask them to add the language metadata inside the story/chapter HTML attributes/work header/somewhere your plug-in can find it. Is there a optimal, easy for you to work with way they could implement this? (like maybe put the language attribute into the <div id="chapters">?) Then I could send them that as a proposal. They have been very good in responding to my user feedback in the past and are in general very open to reasonable feature requests.

EDIT: I just tested their own download formats. EPUBs do contain the correct language metadata, HTMLs, MOBIs and PDFs do not or are incorrectly always marked as English. They probably just have not gotten around to adding it to the web view and those formats and are planning to do so in the future, just like they plan to have the interface translated. Sending them a feature request could still speed things up, though.

Last edited by Dylan Tomorrow; 11-15-2012 at 02:06 PM. Reason: +survey of their download formats